There are many unique and wonderful things to do in, and near, Puerto Vallarta. Here is our list of all the fun things to enjoy in the area, you’ll surely find many options for your specific taste and by reviewing this section you make sure you don’t miss out on anything.
Here’s what we consider the best or top options in each category for Puerto Vallarta.
Here’s a list of things to do and see, most of them in Puerto Vallarta’s downtown area.
By City Zone
- Cuale River Island, a downtown oasis
- El Pitillal
- Gringo Gulch history
- Lookout Lighthouse on Matamoros Street
- Lookout La Cruz del Cerro
- Lookouts in Puerto Vallarta
- Malecon, downtown boardwalk
- Malecon Arches
- Museums & Culture
- Olas Altas Farmers’ Market
- Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish/Church, the “Cathedral”
- Puerto Vallarta City Sign
- Papantla Flying Men (Pole Flyers)
- Plans for a one-day, three-day or longer stay
- Romantic ideas
- Sculpture Guide & Malecon sculptures
- Seahorse Sculpture/Statue
- Things to do in Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta Beaches (north to south)
- Boca de Tomates Beach
- Playa de Oro Beach
- Los Tules Beach
- Las Glorias Beach
- Tranquila Beach
- Camarones Beach
- Los Muertos Beach
- Pier at Los Muertos Beach
- Las Pilitas
- El Púlpito (The Pulpit)
- Las Amapas Beach
- Conchas Chinas Beach
- Palmares Beach
- Garza Blanca Beach
- Las Gemelas Beach
- Los Arcos
- Mismaloya Beach
- Boca de Tomatlan & Beach
Wonderful coastal towns, beaches, colonial towns to visit, lots of fun things to do near Puerto Vallarta. Some need to travel a bit and might require a trip that lasts a whole day, or a bit longer, to make it enjoyable.
All the times are measured starting off from Puerto Vallarta’s main square.
They are given as a reference, specific times will vary according to the exact conditions on the day you travel there.
45 minutes or less from Puerto Vallarta
North of PV
South of PV
45 minutes or more from Puerto Vallarta
North of PV
- Chacala (Nayarit) 2:25 hours
- Destiladeras beach (Nayarit) 1:05 hour
- Hidden Beach, Marietas Islands (Nayarit) 1:00 hour in speed boat
- La Caleta (Nayarit) 2:25 hours
- La Cruz de Huanacaxtle (Nayarit) 55 min
- Marietas Islands (Nayarit) 1:00 hours in speed boat
- Punta de Mita (Nayarit) 1:15 hour
- San Pancho (San Francisco) (Nayarit) 1:20 hour
- Sayulita (Nayarit) 1:20 hour
South of PV
- Caballo Beach (Jalisco) 40 min + water taxi (20 min)
- Colomitos (Jalisco) 40 min + water taxi (10 min)
- El Eden (Jalisco) 0:53 hours
- El Tuito (Jalisco) 1:15 hours
- Las Ánimas de Quimixto (Jalisco) 40 min + water taxi (20 min)
- Las Caletas (Jalisco) 40 min + water taxi
- Majahuitas (Jalisco) 40 min + water taxi
- Mascota (Jalisco) – 2:20 hours
- Navidad (Jalisco) – 3:05 hours
- Quimixto (Jalisco) 40 min + water taxi
- San Sebastián del Oeste (Jalisco) 1:50 hours
- Tehuamixtle (Jalisco) 2:20 hours
- Tequila (Jalisco) 4:35 hours
- Vallarta Botanical Gardens (Jalisco) 0:50 hours
- Yelapa (Jalisco) 40 min + water taxi
A more general list of things to do in Puerto Vallarta, includes food, Mexican culture, and sports activities.
Food & Drinks
P.V. would not be such a beautiful destination if it wasn’t graced with a lush and diverse natural environment.
- Birdwatching – Birding in Vallarta
- Canopy Tours (Zip-line options)
- Humpback Whales
- Jorullo Bridge, longest hanging bridge in the world
- Leatherback Sea Turtles
- Nature & Biodiversity
- Reef fish
- River Crocodiles
- Sea Turtle Protection
- Vallarta Botanical Gardens (VBG review)
- Vallarta Zoo
Puerto Vallarta Malecon, morning view
From the simple cobblestone streets in the downtown area to sophisticated amenities provided at Grand Tourism hotels, Puerto Vallarta is always a great beach destination choice.
Puerto Vallarta offers each guest their own unique and ideal vacation mix of not only relaxation and wonder, but also tranquility and action.
You can also feel assured by the knowledge that the city also offers top-level hospitals, no unsavory surprises here.
No matter your particular preferences or indulgences, there’s a part of Puerto Vallarta that’s just right for you and your personal vacation.