mazatlan or pv

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

reggaelovemusic
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
mazatlan or pv

Post by reggaelovemusic » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:49 pm

:? hi
we have been to this beautiful city 5 times . hate to leave it but prices seem a little better this year in mazatlan.. sorry all pv lovers and i am one of them..Has any one have any imformation on this city and its hotel, scenery people etc. would love any feed back good or bad..

groovgrl
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by groovgrl » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:16 pm

I have been to Mazatlan twice, not for ten years now but.... I would suggest staying at a hotel in "the golden zone" if you want to be close to restaurants and night clubs. The beach is pretty lovely along there too. I actually quite like Mazatlan, the only reason why I haven't been back in many years is because it was very much a young party place (which was great when I was there at 21 and 23). I think because Mazatlan is less expensive than a lot of other places in Mexico, younger people are more able to afford it, and they dominate the tourist population. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just not what I am looking for in a vacation anymore. Again, that was ten years ago but I suspect much hasn't changed. I hope you have a fantastic trip!

Arizona Karen
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Arizona Karen » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:33 pm

Mazatlan is a little dryer than PV and therefore not quite as green. It's a little warmer too.

If you are looking for solitude, even from beach vendors, try Estrella del Mar on Isla de la Piedra (not really an island). It's 10 minutes from the airport on a beautiful, long and secluded beach. Take a look at this site www.estrelladelmar.com They have a hotel and condos for rent. You can also find private rentals at vrbo and others like vrbo. We rented a condo there and LOVED it but you have to appreciate being away from things. The ride into town takes 30-40 minutes but is well worth it. The resort offers (or at least did offer) a free shuttle to town and back but golfers get first dibs. If you are planning a lot of activities and looking for the bustle of things, stay in town.

The people are nicer in PV and PV is better off in general than Mazatlan.

Hope this helps.

davilin
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by davilin » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:07 am

I went to Mazatlan 10 years ago and found it to be a big noisy polluted city. Stayed in a condo in the Morro Tower at El Cid resort in the platinum zone, which was very nice. Downtown wasn't very much for strolling then but I understand it has undergone some renovations lately. After riding around in the "pulmonias" (oversized golf carts that serve as taxis around the hotel zones) my wife had a very bad asthma attack from all the exhaust fumes and had to see the resort doctor for a shot of prednisone. By far, we prefer P.V.