Need Suggestions on Avoiding Timeshare sharks

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators: admin, Moderators

tropicfan

Need Suggestions on Avoiding Timeshare sharks

Post by tropicfan » Mon May 27, 2002 2:20 pm

We hate salesmen! They are extremely pushy as we found out in Play Del Carmen. We would appreciate any good suggestion to avoid them as this is our first trip to PV and don't want to have an unpleasant experience to spoil it.

Sas

Give up now !

Post by Sas » Mon May 27, 2002 2:46 pm

Let;s face it - You won't be able to avoid timeshare sharks in PV. No HOW no WAY ! As a matter of fact I'd check under your pillow at night -you might find one lurking there. Just as you're ready to lay your head you'll hear "Psst - want a free Jeep rental?". All kidding aside...they are EVERYWHERE. But recognizing that you can learn to tolerate them. Don't slow down to chat to them, just politely say No Gracias and keep moving. They've honestly never irritated me that much-I guess I've gotten used to them & can spot one a mile away. Others have been bothered by them in restaurants. I think that's a differnt ball game and really uncalled for. We've been fortunate enough to never having had that happen. I don't find them bad enough to ruin my vacation. I know it's a terrible thing to say but my rule of thumb is when someone is being overly nice & friendly and offering you something for "free", well that just screams TIMESHARE !!!

grega44
PV Fan
PV Fan

Re:Need Suggestions on Avoiding Timeshare sharks

Post by grega44 » Mon May 27, 2002 5:01 pm

When someone approaches you and begins a conversation or asks if you want the opportunity to go snorkeling for free, etc., politely say, "if this is about a timeshare the answer is no and please do not approach me again." We began to be able to spot them a mile away and sometimes would begin shaking our heads "no" before they even could walk all the way up to us. It is unfortunate that they are so prevalent in PV (we've been to Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, Jamaica, and many other resorts and beaches and they have never been such a problem as in PV), but trust me, it will not in any way ruin your vacation. Don't take it personally or think that anyone is out to get you. These people are trying to earn a living and they happen to live in an area where tourists come and go all year and believe it or not, some of them do want a timeshare. Don't psyche yourself out with a negative mind set and enjoy your vacation!

Sandy1953

Post by Sandy1953 » Mon May 27, 2002 8:51 pm

Just say No Thanks and keep walking...

We leave next Sat. for our trip to PV....Our 2 Adult sons and their girl friends are also going with us. I'm planing on warning them about these Sharks on the way to the airport.....I'm more worried about the Silver sales guys...Both the girls love silver!!!

Sandy

grega44
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by grega44 » Mon May 27, 2002 11:44 pm

Sandy, I found that the silver shops (in shopping centers) did not have great deals at all (I could get better deals in my home state of Okla.!). I found the beach vendors to have the best deals and everything I have bought from them in the past seems to be real silver (look for the 925 engraving). Have a wonderful vacation and thanks again for all the advice for traveling w/a little one!

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teduardo » Wed May 29, 2002 12:18 am

Found that when I got tired of saying "no gracias" that if they asked if we wanted a discount on a tour, I would turn and tell them "we are far too busy looking for a time share to take a tour."

I'd say 9 out of 10 of them even had to laugh.

tplx

Post by tplx » Thu May 30, 2002 4:33 am

I have a friend here in the states who used to work selling time shares in Mexico and he has shared some tips with me. You have to either be married or over 30 years old and have a major credit card for purchasing a time share. All you have to do is tell them you don't have a major credit card and they'll leave you alone. We have been all over Mexico and PV is our favorite to visit. Don't let a salesperson ruin your trip!

matt
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by matt » Thu May 30, 2002 9:01 am

I agree with the suggestions to politely say "no thanks" and continue walking. The salespeople won't get offended. Don't stop to chat unless you really want to learn more about their timeshares.

I think that the real problem is when the under-informed tourist falls into the trap. You should be ok since you know that the 45-min. friendly timeshare tour is really a 4- hour long high-pressure sales presentation.

By the way, another line which gets rid of the salesmen is to tell them that you already have a place in Puerto Vallarta. Just figure out beforehand where your place is and how long you have it :)

katnsocal

Post by katnsocal » Fri May 31, 2002 6:37 am

"I agree with the suggestions to politely say "no thanks" and continue walking. The salespeople won't get offended. Don't stop to chat unless you really want to learn more about their timeshares."

This is truly the best way to deal with timeshare
salespeople. No need to engage in a war of words with them, unless you really want to raise your bloodpressure or just like to "play" with people. No need to be really rude, they are only trying to make a living. I just say "I don't do timeshare presentations." Saying you own a timeshare doesn't work, they will try to sell you more time.

The best way to get away from them is tell them you don't have any credit cards, you can't qualify for the presentation if you don't have a credit card to show them. They run a credit check while you are in the presentation. No Credit Card, No Qualify. No qualify, No Money for the salesperson who sent you to the presentation.

I think most people get suckered into the presentations because, they want something "Free". Just remember no one is going to stop you on the street to give you a free breakfast, lunch, boat cruise, jeep, etc. without a catch - A LONG SALES PRESENTATION.

ButterB

Post by ButterB » Fri May 31, 2002 9:11 am

Just remember "the only free cheese in the cheese in a mouse trap".

Try telling them you have flight out that day or in the morning. Works sometimes with the pushy ones.

jomax24

Post by jomax24 » Fri Jun 07, 2002 9:58 pm

I don't think there's any way to avoid these guys. We've tried all the above suugestions and have now resorted (no pun intended) to asking them if they'd like an activity to do - namely a free swim in the Marina bay compliments of my "overstressed, trying desperately to relax" husband. It actually worked on a few of them. Our problem is that we love PV (especially the Marina) and we come back so often that the sharks are actually getting to know us, and seem to quite enjoy the challenge of trying to get our attention. Not only that, when we did give in and go to the "90 minute presentation", (this one was one of the quicker ones...only 2 1/2 hours) we caught the third fourth and fifth degree for "playing the game"
and attending a presentation with no intention of buying. Before we were through there (I won't mention any names as these people are just trying to do their job) we were informed by the closer (the super high pressure guy) that he won't deal with Canadians at all any more because they're just a waste of his time.
He said (I don't know how much truth there is in it) that within 3 years they were going to phase out the use of the OPC's. That'd be good yup!!!!!

bsimpson
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by bsimpson » Sat Jun 08, 2002 5:40 am

tropicfan, you could try the following:
1). get an all-incusive
2). stay by the pool the entire week
3). don't leave the property
4). don't go down to the beach ('cause you'll find vendors there too).

These are just some of the sure-fire ways to avoid salespeople in PV.

However it's also the way to avoid them in Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Cuba, Jamaica, Punta Cana, Puerto Plata, Barbados, etc. (everywhere tourists go). In short, you CAN'T avoid them - but you CAN deal with them.

More important is your comment about an "unpleasant experience". If you step off the property, go the beach you are likely at some point to encounter sales people. Why should it spoil your holiday? A polite "No Gracias" and a wave-off (dismissal) of the hand is all that's really required. Don't try to verbally outwit these folks; they know all the comebacks. Why waste of any your precious vacation time trying to engage them in a battle of wits?

Don't arrive with the fear that encountering the first sales person could mean an unpleasant experience. You're the one in charge not them.

Relax and have a great time!

katnsocal

Post by katnsocal » Sat Jun 08, 2002 6:00 am

I have to agree with the above post. While it can be irritating to deal with salespeople on your vacation, we need to remember that these salespeople, be they vendors, timeshare, or a clerk in a store are working for their living just like we do when we aren't on vacation. They (timeshare salespeople, OPC's, closers, liners whatever their position is) are put through extensive training in sales and if they don't perform they lose their job. I personally find the telemarketers calling me on the phone more annoying than the sales people in PV. So it is best for all us who love to go to PV to heed the advice in the above post, it was very well stated.

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Sat Jun 08, 2002 7:17 pm

Yes annoying the 1st time in PV, we just said NO
Gracias, the following visits to PV we just told them we have been here several times and not interested. Sometimes if I have 5 minutes, I'll talk to some of them, not bad guys, just trying to make a peso. Just use some or all of the info from this and the above posts and you should have no trouble nada. Just enoy this great little town, I know I do every chance I get.

tlippy
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Location: Central Oregon - where there's snow on the ground 6 months of the year

Canadians are the best!!!!

Post by tlippy » Fri Jun 14, 2002 4:34 pm

JoMax - I asked my timeshare guy "Who do you prefer - Americans or Canadians?" He answered "Canadians by far are the best - they are the Mexicans of the North" Different strokes. Really I made my living as a salesman in California and I rather enjoy the hustle these guys put into making a living. I find none of their antics offensive. Old Maids, School Teachers and Preachers probably just can't handle a different take on life. ENJOY!!

bsimpson
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by bsimpson » Sat Jun 15, 2002 2:54 am

jomax24.....what would your passing along of the comment by "the super high pressure guy" - regarding Canadians have to do with the price of tomatoes, or the subject of the thread?????

jomax24

Post by jomax24 » Sun Jun 16, 2002 12:46 am

My "closer" comment had to do with the new lows that these guys have sunk to in the quest of the illusive sale. Our experiences with the time share people in general (we are owners) are deteriorating in common sense, friendliness, and common courtesy as well as what we bought, being downgraded every year. Our resort was to be completed by summer 2000 and still isn't finished and in the meantime the layout of the grounds has changed, cutting us off from everything else.
I mean, if these things are such a sweet and easy deal, then how could each resort have a page (or 2 or 3) of foreclosure units. I don't mind seeing the reorts, but, I really don't like being played for a chump.

bsimpson
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by bsimpson » Mon Jun 17, 2002 2:42 pm

OK jomax24 - I read into your posts that:

a). you purchased a timeshare;
b). you are very dissatisfied;
c). you feel you were deceived by the timeshare people.

I'm still at a loss as to what this has to do with the TS people not wanting to deal with Canadians???

marie

Post by marie » Mon Jul 08, 2002 7:02 pm

My husband and are were down in PV last December. I was never warned about the Timeshare sharks. They had to have tried every line in the book to try to get you to stop for just a moment. It was very annoying!!!! I was so aggrevated by them. Here you are on vacation trying to relax and they are everywhere you turn. When I politely said No Gracias to a man he said " Oh you must be a cheap Canadian." Even walking through town was a hassle by the salespeople at the stores. I just always had this feeling that you weren't a guest in thier town but a walking dollar sign to see how much they can get. As much as I loved PV I would really have to think twice before going back because of it.

judimex
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by judimex » Mon Jul 08, 2002 7:38 pm

Marie: The timeshare OPC´s will spoil your vacation only if you allow them to.