1st timer in PV with lots of Q's

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators: admin, Moderators

ajstanger
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

1st timer in PV with lots of Q's

Post by ajstanger » Tue Apr 08, 2003 2:43 am

I have found this sight very useful for taking notes. There are 3 couples going to PV on April 26th for a week. We are staying in a condo "Playa Del Sol" on Los Muertos beach and I have so many questions but don't want to write a book. Any pointers or info would be greatly appreciated. I have read hundreds of the threads and can't find "everything" I would like to. Here are just a few we could use some help on. Should we exchange USD for Peso's here or there? What brands of beer are "domestic"? We have a kitchen in the condo so what should we bring besides salt and pepper? Is there a decent grocery store for shopping? How are the canopy tours and what is a good recomended one to use? Has anyone been there since the start of the Iraq war? Any worries or concerns while there?

thanks in advance,
Tony

sue in iowa

Re:1st timer in PV with lots of Q's

Post by sue in iowa » Tue Apr 08, 2003 3:59 am

I would wait to exchange dollars for pesos down in PV. You can actually get a good rate at the airport. You get the best rate using a credit card. My favorite mexican beer is Pacifico but many others are great-Tecate and Carta Blanca. There is a big grocery store downtown called Gigante. You can get everything you need there. In fact, you can get everything you need in PV, so relax and just go. Haven't done a canopy tour yet but I'm told to bring bug spray.

Canoerick

Post by Canoerick » Tue Apr 08, 2003 3:43 pm

You don't even need to exchange dollars for pesos, but you'll wind up paying a bit more that way. Generally 10 pesos=$1us. By charging to a credit card, you will get close to the exact exchange rate for the day the charge goes thru. no commissions. Otherwise, just pay attention to the rates in the windows, and pick one.

Gigante, Mega, Wal-Mart, Sam's Club= plenty of place to buy some food and supplies. You will find that fruits, vegatables and bakery are bargains. Meat and fish will be close to the same as the US, sometimes more. You can get by nicely by bringing your own salt & pepper packs, as well as some packs of Mayo and catsup, etc.

Mexican beers are reasonable, although not very good, IMHO. They're quite light. Even thier dark beers leave a lot to be desired. Depends on what you're used to drinking, back home. The beeer on the shelves is fairly fresh, as well as that in the bars. If you fall in love with Corona down there, you might be disappointed when you buy it in the US!

susana

Post by susana » Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:17 pm

As my 'qualifications' to answer a few questions I'll mention I've spent 15 vacations on the 'southside' of Puerto Vallarta always within blocks of your condo rental.

1) Bring US cash and exchange it at any cambio window or bank, daily rates are posted, there is no additional fee. Do not bother to exchange at home, it's completely not necessary and a waste of money (possible fees and bad exchange rates).

2) ATM's even better and there is one on Olas Altas just north of B. Badillo corner within steps of where you'll be staying.

3) Sol, Pacifico, Corona, Modello are most common.

4) Don't even bring the salt and pepper you can find everything you want at:

5) Rizo's supermercado (sometimes called 'GR'). Corner of Constitucion & Aquiles Serdan (12 mins. walk or 5 mins. cab ride from your condo). Large 2-story place with bakery, deli, fruits/vege, eggs, dairy, canned goods, juice, liquor, beer, dry goods, cosmetics and toiletries downstairs. Upstairs housewears, school supplies, toys, linens, hardware, plastic goods, etc.

6) Never taken a formal tour, can't help with that.

7) A friend just got back yesterday, no comment was made about the war.

8) Don't drink the tap water & be careful not to get a bad sunburn. My only advice.

I have never had anything except incredibly wonderful trips to PV. The local people are friendly and welcoming. The town is charming and filled with things to do (or not do)!

Write direct if you'd like more help or have questions more than you want to post.
[email protected] (title PV so it doesn't get lost in the junkmail)

Lorne

Post by Lorne » Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:19 pm

Spent Jan.-Feb. in PV; there's no Iraq war in PV. As for money your debit card works fine and can be used at the airport on arrival; there are lots of ATM's. Short walk from your hotel to Rizo's department store in the Old Town; they have everything including hardware, also the local fish market is right there. Don't have to bring anything it's all available in PV. Lot's of beer types available;you'll find a brand you like; really there is no bad Mexican beer; you can buy cold beer at the Six corner stores for 8 pesos or less if you bring back the bottles; these are everywhere. Cheapest beer at a cafe is on Olas Atlas by the park; was 10 pesos all day when we were there; some may look cheaper but they serve a smaller bottle(375ml).Contact me if you have any other questions.

susana

Post by susana » Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:27 pm

Oops~ I read the first 3 posts after I already sent mine. A few things are different in the south part of town (than in the Hotel Zone, Marina, Nuevo Vallarta):

Unless you have a car or want to bus 1/2 hr. back across town... Rizo's is your store (not Gigante, etc.).

Don't count on being able to use credit cards. Many of the smaller and independent businesses, shops, restaurants, do not accept them (because of the high costs to them).

Don't plan to spend in U.S. dollarsl (again maybe this is a south-end thing because it is much more 'local' there). It will be simpler and much more graceful, you will fit in better and get better deals spending in pesos.

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teduardo » Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:15 am

First, listen to susana, she is pretty right on with her advice regarding staying on the south side. Second, make a list for your weeks provisions, walk up to Rizo's, but take a cab back. There is almost always one right outside the market, about 220 pesos ($2.20USD) which is the minimum cab fare. Take it from someone who learned the hard way with very tired arms carrying supplies back to the condo, it is worth every penny.

ajstanger
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by ajstanger » Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:04 am

Thank you all for the tips about our trip to PV. It has been so darn cold in MI that we can't wait to get there. I have been taking notes so that we will be as prepared as can be. I am glad I asked because we were going to bring Pesos from here but now we will wait until we get down there. Thanks again all of you, you have been of great help. I will put out a note when we get back to say how much of a great time we had.
Bless our troups.
Tony

honeybee

Post by honeybee » Mon Apr 28, 2003 4:58 pm

We stayed at Playa del Sol a couple years ago. Not sure f all the condos are the same; if so you will need ALL cooking/living supplies. There was nothing in the condo but a VERY limited amount of cookware. No paper towels, tin foil, coffee filters, etc, as we usually find in condos. We didn't even have a can opener thst worked.
There is a small store a block north from the condos, you can do major shopping at Rizos but this place was close and very convenient.

susana

Post by susana » Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:19 pm

From other posts I have read, the condos do have different owners which furnish and equip individual units, so NO (to my understanding) they wouldn't all be similarly lacking.

honeybee

Post by honeybee » Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:26 am

For ajstanger's sake, I hope the different units have different levels of accoutrements. I talked to several folks renting at the same time we were and heard similar complaints. I got the opinion that it was just the policy of the staff (which were all more than wonderful) to pretty much clean the units out of all but the furniture. I would try to find out about their particular unit so as not to be surprised. And no sense packing more than necessary if it is well-equiped.
Our condo was very nice, even without salt, pepper and a can opener. We eat out most of the time anyway.

honeybee

Post by honeybee » Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:31 am

Ooops, I see from the original post they left on the 26th anyway.