Beer/cocktails

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators: admin, Moderators

lilianna
PV Fan
PV Fan

Beer/cocktails

Post by lilianna » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:13 pm

Hello, I was hoping to get some good places to go for beer, for both cost and ambiance. Not sure if you heard about the earthquake in California recently (6.5), but we were smack dab in the middle of it and have been having tremors ever since, on pins and needles constantly, 12 days til we arrive and are ready for some serious relaxing!!

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Re:Beer/cocktails

Post by teduardo » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:54 pm

There are LOT of places serving beer & cocktails. What part of town you are staying in and where you want to hang out would be helpful to point you in the right direction. Does not make sense to tell you all about the south side establishments if you are staying out in Nuevo.

lilianna
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by lilianna » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:15 pm

oh yes that would probably help, we are staying south of PV and are planning on taking the bus into town every day. relaxing places with cheap beer and/or beautiful views even if we have to pay a little more would be greatly appreciated!!

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

South Side Beach Bars

Post by teduardo » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:16 am

Ok lets get you started with some of the south side beach bars, starting at Los Muertos pier working north.

Cuates y Cuetes (known by many as CyC) just north of the pier, popular place for sunset, I think happy hour is 5 to 7 this time of year, two for one drinks and buckets of beer. Next door to the north, is Langostinos, a little fancier with good food, not sure if they have a happy hour, try it for breakfast or lunch. A couple of blocks north is the Oasis, fun place I think owned by a Canadian. A block north of that is where my wife and I have spent many an afternoon under a palapa with our toes in the sand, Burros Bar, the waiters are a real hoot, and first happy hour is 1-2pm the second is from 5-7 two for one drinks and cheap buckets of ice cold beer.

All of these places are right on the beach and not real expensive, great for people watching, bargaining with vendors, listening to the waves lap up not far away, and if you are very lucky this time of year you might just get to see a humpback whale breach not far offshore.

I am sure you will get many more suggestions, this is just the south side of the Rio Cuale where we stay and spend a lot of time. Have fun!

upnorth

Re:South Side Beach Bars

Post by upnorth » Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:15 pm

I have the same question for you, Teduardo, except we are staying by the marina...Embarcadera Pacifio. Where is a good place to relax with a beer or a fun happy hour in that area?

lilianna
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by lilianna » Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:22 pm

Thank you so much Teduardo for your very thorough answer. We are looking forward to trying out all those places and more!

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Beer/cocktails in the marina

Post by teduardo » Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:10 pm

Afraid I do not know the marina area except for taking a taxi there and boarding a boat or going to the Velas when our friend holds his annual pool party. I am sure someone who stays up in that area will post some good spots.

Do try to get to downtown and south of downtown over the Rio Cuale, that is where you will find many choices of bars and any kind of restaurant your heart desires.

susana

Post by susana » Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:29 pm

You've got a good start for suggestions!

There are loads of places lining Playa Los Muertos (main local beach) with palapa seating right on the sand, some with indoor seating but open air with views. Just walk along and take your pick. Menus are posted most places, and are reasonably priced.

There's plenty of nice places along Basilo Badillo (sometimes called 'restaurant row'). A new-ish place called 108 on B. Badillo is popular, courtyard around a pool serving drinks and food both. Almost next door is Cafe de Olla which is a restaurant but good atmosphere and you could certainly just have drinks or beer if they aren't too busy like mid-afternoons.

For places with a view there are many up in El Centro near the cathedral, but those along The Malecon with ocean views are quite a bit more expensive than "south of the river".

susana

Post by susana » Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:32 pm

Oops I think that's "180" which is the street address on Badillo. Can't miss it if you're walking by.

chili girl

Re:South Side Beach Bars

Post by chili girl » Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:32 am

upnorth (Jan 16, 2004 11:15 a.m.):
I have the same question for you, Teduardo, except we are staying by the marina...Embarcadera Pacifio. Where is a good place to relax with a beer or a fun happy hour in that area?
We are also headed to that resort the 23rd- hope the sun comes out soon, we hear it's been a little damp! We've never stayed at the marina though we've been to PV 5 times. We've heard the lighthouse is a nice place to go for a drink and see the sunset. Other than that, we'll have to see when we get there, I guess...Where "up north" are you coming from?

SPUD2

Post by SPUD2 » Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:50 am

Hi Chili Girl
Try Cafa Ta Cuba (Victors Place) at the Marina, about 50 yards from your Hotel.
10 pesos beers all day ,25 & 35 pesos Margs, free Tequila shooters,and good food.
There is also a small Cambio (money exchange) at the corner of thr street that the hotel is on, good rates.

chili girl

Post by chili girl » Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:00 pm

Hey SPUD2,

Thanks for these little tips- have you stayed in the Marina before? Any other ideas for me? We'll definitely check out Cafa ta Cuba...

SPUD2

Post by SPUD2 » Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:12 pm

I stay at the Melia,just across the road from your hotel.
Have been there about 9 weeks since 1999.
I have not been to it ,but I have been told that there is a good /cheap restaurant at the boat refuelling dock about 1/4 mile south of your hotel.
Melia is AI, so we eat most meals there.
When we do leave the hotel,we like to go to Old Town.
We enjoy CYC ,Burros Bar, and Langistinos on Los Muertos beach.
Also try "180" on Badillo,and Senor Sweeney's on Ollas Atlas.
If you like lively restaurants,try Pipi's. Don't know the address ,just ask any taxi driver.
These are all reasonably priced places.