Newcomer!

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Metra
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Newcomer!

Post by Metra » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:07 pm

Thrilled to be planning my first trip to Puerto Vallarta, I've got a few questions regarding my stay. If anybody's got some tips, I'd really appreciate the help!

I'm flying in on November 1 and plan on staying for two weeks. I've decided against an all-inclusive resort -- I'm a budget traveler and will most likely use my hotel room only as a place to rest my head after daily explorations! I'd considered booking my full two-weeks at a hotel in advance, but now I'm hearing from several people -- including my travel agent -- that, in a place like PV, it's actually more advisable, in my situation, to just book a room for the first night or two. Once I land, I should then go out on foot and see if I can find something different for the rest of my trip.

Is this advisable? I know there's an abundance of hotels in PV in all kinds of price ranges, catering to all kinds of vacationers, and not all of them are listed online, especially on higher-end travel agency sites.

I just don't want to show up and be stuck! I'm a rookie traveler!

Thanks everybody! SO excited to witness this amazing place!!!

roowie
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

just my opinion

Post by roowie » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:37 pm

As a rookie traveler, reserving a room for only 1 or 2 days for a 2 week stay sounds a bit risky. November is the beginning of the busy season. If you were going in July, that move might make sense, as room availability is better. Tell your travel agent what you are looking for in accomodations-no frills, no AI, close to downtown, someplace to sleep and freshen up,price range,etc..your TA should be able to book you in a place that works for you.
I would only want to change hotels during my stay if the place I had booked was just miserable. I doubt you will find a place that you consider miserable. It's possible I guess, but I doubt it.
I suggest selecting a place to stay near downtown, close to Playa Los Muertos. You mentioned you are a budget traveler, and cab fare back and forth from hotel zone can add up,though for the budget minded, local buses are about 50 cents. Puerto Vallarta has soo much to offer, so much to see. We have been 3 times!
Congrats on your choice to visit Puerto Vallarta, and I hope you have a fantastic time, wherever you decide to lay your head down at night.

Louie

Metra
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by Metra » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:14 pm

Wow, thanks for such a fast response! It makes total sense, and I think I'll follow your lead and grill my travel agent to find something that's perfect for me!

Arizona Karen
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

ptions

Post by Arizona Karen » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:38 pm

Metra,

You indicated you're a budget traveler; does that mean you'd be interested in cooking your own meals? If so, check out the vacation rentals section of this site and also vrbo.com A lot of owners will give an additional discount if renting for a two week vacation. Check out studios or a one bedroom and then compare to budget hotels. If you find a vacation rental you like, also ask about last minute prices. Include the cost of meals in your comparison as groceries are much cheaper than restaurant food.

High season; you don't want to end up sleeping on a park bench. Been there, done that, not comfy. Make some sort of reservation.

Have a great trip.

pat
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by pat » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:34 pm

I would not want to spend my vacation time looking for a place to stay, especially if I was not familair with the area. Finding a small condo is a great idea. Look on line at:
http://vacationrentals411.com/
http://www.vacationhomerentals.com
http://www.vacationhomes.com/
rentalo.com

Forget the travel agent.

You can fix your own breakfast and head back for a quick lunch. That way you can spend your money on dinner and other things. Also a cheap dinner is buying a rotissere chicken and papas (you'll see lots around town) to take back to your condo one night a week to save a few extra bucks. You can also eat cheaply at the taco stands. Watch for the ones that are always busy before you buy. Check here for a list of taco stands:
http://www.vallartainfo.com/streetfood.html

You'll have a great time!!