Sculptures on Malecon

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Deb
Sculptures on Malecon

Post by Deb » Wed Nov 06, 2002 9:42 pm

HI!
I was wondering if anyone might know if the sculpture of the 2 people sitting on a platform are still on the Malecon and are all of them accounted for at least? I have seen pictures of the boy on the seahorse and the seat looking sculptures.
We are still planning on coming down Dec 10th -20th for our wedding and I'm sure everything is still beautiful. The clean up looks like it's going very fast!

pvdeb
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re:Sculptures on Malecon

Post by pvdeb » Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:49 am

When I was there last week, the sculpture of the couple was still in place. I couldn't see the base because they had the actual boardwalk roped off. The seahorse statue was still there, the group of bronze chair-like sculptures by Colunga (?) had been washed out in the middle, but I was told all the pieces are accounted for and will be possibly sent somewhere for restoration of each piece, then replaced on site. The little guy on top of the ladder at what I call the "alien exhibit" had body-surfed down the malecon on one of the big waves, but he was accounted for. The newest sculpture on the north end of the malecon was still in place, but appeared to have a lot of damage around the base walk upon which it stands which caused it to lean. The famous arches are gone except for their bases, but I'm sure those will be rebuilt asap. The dolphins still stand in place. I don't remember seeing the benches with the ears, but I may just have missed them. From the pictures I saw along the water's edge, there was more damage to the boardwalk and retaining wall providing a base for all the sculptures, but that is easily reconstructed.