Reccomendations for a special time

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

susana
Re:Reccomendations for a special time

Post by susana » Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:08 pm

Never eaten there, can't say.

There's so much fantastic reasonably priced food and restaurants in PV ... so the "dining experience" at high-end tourist places isn't anything I know about first-hand.

My most romantic meal is to go to any of the places that set up their tables right down on the sand at Playa Los Muertos ... torches and candles lighting your meal, mariachi bands strolling by, waves possibly washing over your bare feet, just have the fresh grilled fish and a few drinks. That's as good as it gets for me!

Margaritaville

Post by Margaritaville » Sat Jul 26, 2003 1:40 pm

We ate at the Set of the NIght of the Iguana this year on our vacation. Setting is beautiful and the food was excellent. It is however at Mismaloya. El Set is near Conchas Chinas beach, not so far south. Have eaten there also and thought the food was good but not as great. However, I agree with Susana about the places on the beach at Los Muertos. Food is as good and alot less pricey. Ate at the Coco Tropical and had some of the best coconut shrimp we have had in PV.
The old town area has the best and most reasonable places and in my opinion at least, it is the best place to stay, eat and play.

mandj
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mandj » Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:50 am

Le Cliff for an earlier dinner, then La Palapa, for drinks and dancing. All by midnite by the way.....Then hit Andale's.......

fjschmitz
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by fjschmitz » Wed Jul 30, 2003 3:36 am

susana (Jul 25, 2003 01:08 p.m.):
El Set in down the beach from Playa Los Muertos to the south. I've only done it on foot walking and it took about 45 mins. along the sand. But you can reach it from the highway, the hotel entrance is on that side (road-side).

Is the hotel named El Set also? I don't remember that part, sorry.
It's not a hotel . . . . It's the 'Lindo Mar Resort' which has it's own, cute little restaurant, but nothing compared to the 'Set'.

Enjoy!

fjschmitz
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by fjschmitz » Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:09 am

'Margaritaville' has it right . . all the way.

'Daiquiry Dick' is fine, can be festive - and a little pricey. Right next door- well almost - is the 'Coco Tropical' - http://www.cocotropical.com - and it seems to be one of the best kept secrets in 'beach dining'. It has basically a Swiss/Italian flavor, and you can even look at the menu at the above web site. The food, the atmosphere and service is very good.

Of course, just a little further along the same beach is the ever popular 'La Palapa', wich, after re-opening is as beautiful as ever. Their 'Gourmet Cuisine' come with a fair, but hefty pricetag. It's worth it - especially for an anniversary!

Someone mentioned the 'River Cafe'. It can be a real treat on a nice evening. In my book, it's a toss-up between it, and the 'Bistro' just up the road. Toss a coin! You win either way, as the most romantic of setting in an - 'off-beach' environment! Neither are cheap - but good! A lot of class . . . that will add to any special occasion.

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by smitty » Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:48 pm

My stomach is growling reading all these great dining ideas ! I think we had better book 2 weeks instead of our usual 1- a vacation based on fine dining (and drinks) with the beautiful setting of PV. Thanks for all the fantastic information,this board is superb.

bret

Post by bret » Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:08 pm

We were very disappointed with "Rhythms of the Night"...nice boat ride, beautiful setting, and pretty good show...but, I do not agree to spend that kind of money for buffet style food!! That was very upsetting to my wife and I.....really thought that was rediculous to stand in line with a plate for this so-called $150 special occasion!

My next stay will be either a condo or we may try out Camino Real...heard very, very nice things there. My preference is to be closer to the south of town and away from the HZ, Marina, NV, et all.

The most romantic thing you can do is book the romantic treatment at La Palapa..where you eat privately out on the sand for 3 hrs or more....is the highlight of our visit to PV.

I suggest grabbing a taxi and visit The Red Cabbage for dinner....try her Mole Pablano.
I am always found of visiting Fredy's Toucan for Breakfast...very reasonable prices while eating gourmet breakfast! You just can't beat that and many smart visitors are flocking here and the place can accomadate any number.