Planning ahead

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators: admin, Moderators

Care

Planning ahead

Post by Care » Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:41 am

We have been to PV many times. We are owners at the Sheraton and are among the many others who are frustrated by the condition of the Hotel and slow recovery since Kenna. Perhaps it is a blessing in disguise. Last February we stayed downtown at Playa Los Arcos Suites and had tons of fun in the middle of old town. We liked the resort but would like something different this year in that same area.....how is the Arcos Hotel on the beach?
I have been reading postings but would love a reccomendation of a hotel on the beach, resonable price range like Los Arcos Suites....anyone stayed at Hotel de Molino? Any suggestions are really appreciated. We are going in February 2004 but it is getting more and more difficult to secure places at that time. Trying to plan ahead.
Thanks.

Margaritaville

Re:Planning ahead

Post by Margaritaville » Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:21 pm

Why not try the Tropicana Hotel? Every room faces the beach and it is a very clean and friendly place. Just a few blocks south from the Playa Los Arcos. Rooms are basic, however. Some don't have TV, if thats what you go for. Nicer pool area than Los Arcos. Or you could try the SAn Marino Hotel. Another hotel right on the beach, in the same area

Care

Post by Care » Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:18 pm

Thanks for the tips. I will look into thoses two hotels. I appreciate your help.

susana

Post by susana » Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:49 pm

Molino de Agua is a beautiful, fantastic hotel!! But there have been rumors about it being for sale &/or closing for 'construction' next year. So am not sure this is the best time to try it out. Also, as they extend the Malecon south, and build the new pedestrian bridge over the Rio Cuale, seems like that will involve work being done to Molino's beach front.

A bit further south, right on the beach of Playa Los Muertos both Hotel Playa Los Arcos and the Tropicana are popular favorites. Also there are several condos where people rent out their units also nearby (Condominiums Playa del Sol).

www.htropicanapv.com
www.playalosarcos.com
www.molinodeagua.com

If you don't care about being right *on* the beach, but still in that same neighborhood, that opens up quite a few more possibilities (as you saw staying at Los Arcos Suites).

Care

Post by Care » Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:16 am

Thanks, Susana, for your reply. I have tried getting information on availability for the Tropicana on line but cannot get to their website in English, only Spanish. I also tried Los Arcos Suites and Los Arcos and they all say there is no space at all in Feb. or March. I wonder if they just aren't taking reservations this early.
Airline fares are great right now to Mexico but I want to secure a hotel first.
We don't need to be right on the beach but since we stayed at Los Arcos Suites last year off the beach, we thought it would be nice to hear and watch the water this year.
I am so open to suggestions, thanks again. Keep any ideas coming.

honeybee

What about a condo?

Post by honeybee » Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:53 pm

I don't think it would be hard to find a condo right on the beach for that time frame if you start now. While you won't have hotel "activities", the more residential feel is attractive to many.
Prices can be comparable or even a little better that ocean front hotel rooms in that area and you have the advantage of a full kitchen, seperate LR etc.
Condo buildings in the area are Vista del Sol, Plaza Mar, Plaza Dorada, La Palapa, Playa del Sol, and more.

susana

Post by susana » Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:30 pm

I'm guessing they just aren't booking yet, because no way is every room already reserved for two entire months! Playa Los Arcos accepts package tours, so that may also be part of the problem. The english page for Tropicana is not up yet (it's a fairly new website for them) but rates I saw were 720 or 920 peso depending on room type.

If you're seeing great airfare (if it were me) I'd go ahead and grab it. You can always find a hotel, especially planning so far in advance. I was thinking of a fall trip this year and am seeing $820-ish on Alaska from Seattle (for the past 10 years I've always given $450-525 in this timeframe same airlines).

I'm not sure if you'd like this kind of place, but it's a favorite of mine so I'll toss it out there: Casa Andrea. It is located 1-1/2 block in from the pier on the beach and is a small, quiet, beautiful place to stay. Take a look. www.casa-andrea.com

barbarah
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by barbarah » Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:40 pm

Susanna.....just booked Alaska Airlines (from Seattle) to PV for $676.69 R/T. Price going up about $10 every week.

patty
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by patty » Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:44 pm

Was that price counter price or Alaska internet price? Just booked round trip, non stop from Seattle to PV a couple of weeks ago for $676.69 coach at the counter. The fares have been climbing $10 every few days lately. The closer it gets to your time the better luck you may have. Airfare wars, you know.

patty
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by patty » Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:50 pm

Forget to mention the new airport and security taxes are a big portion of the increases. Recently book a companion on a $50 companion ticket on Alaska Airlines and it came to $130 when all said and done.

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teduardo » Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:55 pm

No rates available yet anywhere I could find for Playa Los Arcos that time of year, but Vallartaonline has prices for Tropicana in February.

http://www.vallartaonline.com/accommoda ... efault.asp

susana

Re:Thanks all re air info

Post by susana » Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:34 pm

Barbara- Thanks for airfare info. Guess things are just more expensive. (I consider that price high for Seattle/PV.)

Patty- I don't think this particular rate increase can be blamed on airport security, because I flew to PV less than 1 year ago and it was not so expensive then (I don't think airport issues have changed in only the past 8 months, since I flew Dec '02).

rosanne
PV Fan
PV Fan

Throwing in my 2 cents

Post by rosanne » Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:31 pm

I think one needs to REALLY shop around for air fares.

I'm in Victoria, BC and when I checked the various websites about two weeks ago: Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Alaska Airlines - I was finding prices that hovered around 800.00 canadian to fly out of Vancouver with a change of planes in Seattle - BUT I would have to add the cost of taxis plus ferry plus one night accommodation in Vancouver each way. OR fly out of Victoria for around 1,100.00 canadian.

Ended up going to a travel agent where I was given a price for flying out of Victoria (with a change in Seattle) for 720.00 canadian.

Same Airline (Alaskan) and, in fact, when I compared my itinerary with the information on the websites... I was booked on the exact same flight numbers as the higher priced fares listed on Alaskan's own website. Go figure!

Mrs G

Post by Mrs G » Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:28 pm

We have been to Puerto Vallarta going on six times - all within the January/February time frame. I have noticed that airfares tend to drop (for that time period) in the September/October time frame. We usually buy no later than November so that we can take advantage of the less expensive airfare. It's a slight gamble but we haven't found it to be a problem. We usually take Alaska to take advantage of the non-stops.

Further on your topic regarding February - we too were looking for condos in February and came up with not much - most places were booked - President's Day is a big time for Americans to head down to PV. We were fortunate and changed our dates to the last week in January which is just fine for us.

Good luck on your search!