Canto del Sol

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

old hokie fan
Canto del Sol

Post by old hokie fan » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:55 pm

My husband and I along with another couple will be traveling to PV in March '05. We have reservations at the Canto del Sol. I'm the one who made the arrangements and they are so excited about the trip. The other couple have not been out of the US on a real adult (no kids) vacation in 29 years (their honeymoon). So this is a real treat for them. I hardly see any info on this BB about Canto. Can someone tell me if I made the right choice. We wanted to do AI since we enjoy the beach/pool while having a few drinks...or more. But we wanted close enough to town to be able to visit on foot. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Happy Holidays!
Linda

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Re:Canto del Sol

Post by smitty » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:40 pm

Scroll down and check page 2 . Plenty of info on Canto.

tuna
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by tuna » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:53 pm

old hokie fan (Dec 17, 2004 02:55 p.m.):
My husband and I along with another couple will be traveling to PV in March '05. We have reservations at the Canto del Sol. I'm the one who made the arrangements and they are so excited about the trip. The other couple have not been out of the US on a real adult (no kids) vacation in 29 years (their honeymoon). So this is a real treat for them. I hardly see any info on this BB about Canto. Can someone tell me if I made the right choice. We wanted to do AI since we enjoy the beach/pool while having a few drinks...or more. But we wanted close enough to town to be able to visit on foot. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Happy Holidays!
Linda
Hey OHF,

I will be at the Canto in 3 sleeps :). I will be sure to take lots of pictures and will leave some feedback on the resort. From what I can tell it looks like a great plcae. Check out www.svedish.com, this person has some pics of the resort on their site.

wills
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by wills » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:13 pm

Hola, We will be staying at the Villas Vallarta by Canto del Sol in March/05. It is the resort that is adjacent to the Canto del Sol which is located on the beach. We chose the former as we were able to obtain a very decent rate for a full suite and will be able to use the facilities at both resorts. From the reports we have read on travel advice sites you will not be disappointed in your choice. These resorts were recently thoroughly renovated and upgraded. Log on to www.cantodelsol.com/Villas_Vallarta.asp Click on photo gallery. The photos are recent (Summer/04). The arial photos show the Canto del Sol in the foreground with the Villas Vallarta at the top left and center. The photos from Svedish's site will give an excellent flavor of the resort. The location is very nice; not nearly as far out as the Marina or Nuevo Vallarta. We were at the adjacent resort of Plaza Pelicanos on our most recent visit. It is a relaxing stroll of 15-20 minutes to Centro and the Malecon (not to be missed on Sunday evenings when Vallartans promenade and enjoy the various entertainments). The cab or bus ride to Centro is 5 minutes or so long. Do not miss out on the restaurant scene in Centro or particularly the "Zona Romatica" the Southside of PV, even if you are going the A.I. route. The one thing you and your first-time-visitor-friends may find problematic with PV is in deciding what to do; so many choices...something for every one. LOL! Remember to completely ignor the timeshare people or, at very least, not take them too seriously. Don't forget to leave your cares at home. Don't forget to pack your smiles. Your gracious hosts await your arrival. Puerto Vallarta...so easy to remember and so hard to forget.

Old Hokie Fan

Post by Old Hokie Fan » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:57 am

Thank you Tuna, we would love to hear your prospective on the Canto after your trip. You can also provide us with any idea for making our SHORT time there (7 days, 8 nights) the best that it can be!

Thank you Will for your reply, it made me feel much more confident that I made the right choice. We do plan to experience downtown even though we did go AI. We all enjoy days of relaxation and drinks by a body of water (whether pool or beach) so we thought for the money AI would be better for us. We do want to have a few meals away from the resort. During your trips there did you do any tours. We are hoping to do the day excursion to Los Caletas (sp?) and the Rythm of the Nights trip. But are open to others that are worth the time and money.

tuna
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by tuna » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:25 pm

Hello OHF,

Seeing I havent put up a full review yet I will make a few comments here. The canot del sol was a decent hotel, rooms were clean and service was good. The location was good as you could walk to downtown(malecon) in about 25 minutes. The food was good and you could find something you liked to eat everyday. The buffet did however, tend to get a little boring by the end of the week. They have 3 a la carte restaurants. We went to the International twice and to the Mexican once. Wasn't all to thrilled with the Mexican one. The International was really good though. I heard from some people we me that the italian was great.

The pool was a decent size as I never found it too busy. I only ever went in to cool off and swim over to the pool bar when I wanted a drink. Now if you want a lounger by the pool I would say you need to go down by 6:30am and leave a towel on the lounger to reserve your spot. When you arrive you will be given towel cards so when you leave you either give them this towel card or a towel otherwise they charge $40US dollars. Either bring 2 towels of your own or make sure you get your towels the night before as the towel hut doesnt open until 8:30.

They do sell day passes at this resort but never really seen an issue with it. Again never really busy. The only time it was busy was the dinner buffet but we mainly went early or late and only ever waited in line 15 minutes during proper meal hours.

Try and ask for a room in one of the side wings, we were in the section over the lobby bar and did find it noisy on a couple of nights. They do arrange nightly outings to the bar and that usually leaves around 11 or 12 when the lobby bar closes so it did get quiet then.

The beds were comfortable as the recently put that egg crate foam material down atleast in our room.

Sorry just jumping all over the place here. The room key was a key! I was quite suprised as the sister resort (Villas) had actual credit card type swipe keys. They do give you a little chain to wear the key.

They also had entertainment every night on a stage they had setup near the ocean, the show were okay, not vegas type preformances, they all lip synced to the words. Well I heard a couple people comment on that It didnt bother me as I didnt book the hotel for the entertainment. I was even part of the show the first night :) The second night the stage caught fire after the used some pyro. They did manage to put it out right quick.

If you want to take the bus to the malecon it will cost you 4 pesos, take the bus marked Centro or just ask the bus driver Malecon. Once you pay hold on tight, these are buses like I have never seen before. I also got the feeling that the bus drivers were competing with each other, felt like it was the daytona 500. That made it fun to cross the roads, you'll see what I mean when you are there!

If you go out for dinner I highly recommend Pipi's, great food, great service and pay the music guys and they will sing you a romatic or fun song in spanish of course. We choose a romantic song as it was our honeymoon. If you don't want a song you can listen to them sing at other tables. Oh and I used to hate Guacamole, well atleast the stuff here in canada but the stuff they made fresh right at the table was great. We went through 2 baskets of chips just eating that stuff. If you drink and order meals for 2 expect to pay around 400 to 500 pesos, about $50.

Oh the bus going back to the hotel, make sure it says Hoteles on the front or again ask. Or take a taxi.

Well I have to run but I will see about editing this and addin more comments. You can view some pics at http://members.shaw.ca/fearthetuna

p.s. Definatley do the rhythms of the NIght, great show and great food. The beef was amazing, so tender. Wasnt to thrill with the Marietas snorkelling and some people we met did the Caletas day tour and loved it.

old hokie fan

Post by old hokie fan » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:22 pm

Thank you Tuna! That's great info. Thank you so much for taking the time to share that, I will be looking forward to your full trip report.

I'm also going to take a look at your pics as soon as I leave this reply.

old hokie fan

Post by old hokie fan » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:23 pm

Tuna,

Forgot the most important part of my reply. CONGRATULATIONS! I'm sure hope you had a wonderful honeymoon!

Quebec guy

Post by Quebec guy » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:04 pm

Thanks for all the information, it will be useful, we are going march 2nd-9th , with my two kids 11 & 13, it will be our first time in PV !!

needsunshine
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by needsunshine » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:03 pm

Try www.tripadvisor.com Go to Puerto Vallarta, then search for Canto reviews,
We are going Feb.26 - can't wait!!!