Royal Decameron

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators: admin, Moderators

sonofdob
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Royal Decameron

Post by sonofdob » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:55 pm

can't remember who was asking but I promised an update on the RD when I got back and I'm back...went down on Feb 17 and returned Mar 05 and the RD is as good as ever...the new building 6 is open and is very nice, the Piccolo (Italian) a la carte has been relocated there and there is also bar and a snack grill there as well, in the eveinings the snack grill becomes the Mexicana a la carte...the pool at building 6 is also very nice and is as large as the building 5 (adult only) pool, if not larger...all other buildings (1,2,3,4,5) are much the same with some upgrades completed in building 1 and ongoing in building 2....with the Piccolo being relocated, the Tropical buffet has been renovated and is now larger, incorporating the space the Piccolo used to occupy. The activities pool is now the pool between buildings 1 and 2 and the old scuba centre is now the dj booth, this is also where the stage is that they have the Mariachi band on Mexican Fiesta night (thursday) and the Karaoke (Tuesday and Friday)...the old dj booth at the pool between buildings 1 and 3 is now the scuba centre...the pools at building 4 and 5 remain unchanged as do the Loco bar and the Fiesta bar (where they have bingo and rock trivia every coupld of evenings) and the disco and the ampitheatre where the nightly shows are held at 22:00 each night...I remember someone asking about ATM's in the Bucerias area, there is one near the RD, leaving the resort turn left on the hghway and there is an HBSC two long blocks to your left (north)...there is another just a few blocks from the Zocolo in Bucerias, about two blocks north and three blocks east is a Banamex...great prices at the Mercado and many good resaurants right on the beach in town as well, RD to Bucerias via beach or street is about a 20 min walk...all PV tours are offered at the RD although you get a much better price on the same tours from a small booth just outside the main entrance to the RD...went to PV a few times and there are several ways to get there...a taxi will take you right to the Malecon for 190 pesos in about 30 mins...you can also catch a public bus out at the highway (5 min walk) that will get you into town (I think it was 8 pesos) and then you catch another to take you into old town (I think it was another 4.5 pesos) in about an hour...the RD also offers a shuttle that leaves the resort Mon through Sat at 10:00 and returns at 14:00 for 60 pesos round trip...it drops you off and picks you up at Hidalgo Park right at the Mercado and takes about 40 mins...hope that helps...if you have any specific questions about anything just let me know and I'll try to help you out...oh and by the way...our trip itself was phenominal as always and seems to get better every year...sonofdob.

mlroberts
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mlroberts » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:09 pm

Hi sonofdb,That was probably me and I just got back yesterday myself and had a great time.We were in Block 6 which was quite nice because its new but some of the other rooms were a bit run down and also very musty smelling. The only complaint I had about our room was the shower. I couldn't get any pressure and hardly any hot water.The staff there was fantastic and the grounds are really pretty and well kept up. We loved going into Bucerias to shop and have lunch. The locals are very nice and not as hectic as shopping in downtown PV. We did go into downtown a couple of times but not for long. The food at this resort is okay but Club Marival was much better. I did really like Picollo's and the Wok House was pretty good but I didn't find the buffets too good and it took me 3 days to find the bacon because they hide it behind the omlette lady.All in all it was a great week but if your expecting great food the whole time don't count on it. I was always able to find a few things that were good at the buffets but I did eat alot of salad for dinner. Any questions ask away!! Michelle :D

greensapphire
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

royal decameron

Post by greensapphire » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:32 pm

My girlfriends and I ( all in our 40's) are planning a girls trip in May. We cannot wait. No husbands and no kids!!! Yippee. We were wondering if the rooms had safes in them? We want a safe place for our cash and passports, etc.
We have read a lot of reviews about overbooking too and wondered if you had any trouble with that?

greensapphire
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

royal decameron

Post by greensapphire » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:33 pm

My girlfriends and I ( all in our 40's) are planning a girls trip in May. We cannot wait. No husbands and no kids!!! Yippee. We were wondering if the rooms had safes in them? We want a safe place for our cash and passports, etc.
We have read a lot of reviews about overbooking too and wondered if you had any trouble with that?

mlroberts
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mlroberts » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:49 pm

Yes they have safes ( at least ours did and I'm sure the all do) We did not have a problem overbooking but we were put on the main floor which we were not thrilled about and were told we had to wait till Thurs. By then it was too late to move as we were coming home on Sat. If you do get on the main floor check and double check you door as we had to get our lock fixed 3 times as they do not lock properly!! My girlfriend was in the next room and hers didn't work either.Michelle

sonofdob
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sonofdob » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:56 am

Safes are available...I think it was 300 pesos a week ? On the overbooking, it does happen but they always offer guests who are about to depart a few days at another resort and this seems to create enough room so that people just arriving are not displaced...I have also found that they will accomodate any request to move as soon as they can...best to inquire as soon as you get there or have you travel agent send a request through your tour operator...have fun...sonofdob.

tim25
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by tim25 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:37 am

I have to admit that I do love the RD, and I have recommeneded the place to many friends who all agree that it is a wonderful place.

The one thing that I do tell everyone who is going there - watch out for the "overbooking" deal. WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T TAKE THEM UP ON THE OFFER TO MOVE TO ANOTHER HOTEL!

Everyone that I talked to said the place they send you is a small dumpy place in Nuevo, to be avoided at all costs. The last time I was there they tried to get me to move, and I just laughed and said, "No gracias Amigo" and walked away.

sonofdob
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sonofdob » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:22 pm

the RD uses a few places to transfer guests to if overbooked...Holiday Inn, Qualton Club...although you are told it is an upgrade, Tim25 is right that it is not...remember though, it is just an offer and you can say no...they also offer compensation, bottles of tequila, cash, etc. Think of it this way...the RD is full and these other resorts have vacancies, that says it all right there ! The RD is a very nice and reasonably priced resort, close enough to PV to go and enjoy a day of shopping or touring or all the action of it's nightlife, but far enough removed to allow you to enjoy nicer beaches and a more laidback experience...sonofdob.

shari62700
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

RD

Post by shari62700 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:03 pm

How long is the ride from RD to downtown?

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:45 pm

The ride is fast. :D 25min? depending how wild your driver is. (Wuss if it takes longer)
I've said before that the best part about the trip from the RD to PV are the speed bumps. That is when you get to breath. The scenery is very nice. Enjoy.
:)
Cab Fare was between $15.00 to $17.00 Can. one way. Negotiate the fare before you leave.

sonofdob
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sonofdob » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:59 pm

shari62700...the RD also offers an airconditioned shuttle that goes right into the market in PV Mon through Sat...departs the resort at 10:00 and then departs PV at 14:00 for the return...60 pesos per person round trip...you can book in advance at the gift shop in the hotel lobby...just an option to keep in mind...sonofdob.

shari62700
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by shari62700 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:59 pm

That's great news! I appreciate the information!

freckles
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

RD

Post by freckles » Sat May 20, 2006 11:38 pm

Thanks for the up to date info!
A couple of questions for you: where is building 6 located? Wish building would you recommend for someone that likes quiet, that is, I go to bed fairly early and don't want to hear disco music or bar noise.
Which buildings are the nosiest!
I can't wait, I'm going at Christmas and I am already excited.