Medical Emergency in Puerto Vallarta

Arts, tequila, silver, souvenirs, etc. plus services: doctors, dentists, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

dzitlow
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Medical Emergency in Puerto Vallarta

Post by dzitlow » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:20 pm

Have you or anybody you know ever had a serious medical emergency while vacationing from abroad at Puerto Vallarta (e.g., cardiovascular problem)? Any comments to share with your assessment of emergency medical care/transportation that was received associated with this medical emergency? :-)9

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:04 pm

we know from first hand experience of a young lady that went thru a plate glass door and had her leg severely cut and was transported to one of the local hospitials where she received excellent care. she is an RN in the Detroit area, and when she got home, her doctors were impressed with the stiching she received, the reattachment of the tendons that were knicked and cut .... there are two and possibly three excellent hospitals in Vallarta.... just make sure you have plenty of plastic with you to cover the initial fees, or forget it... because they wanted $5000 USD up front to cover her expenses... and then she also has travel insurance that helped get her home as well...

I am definitely looking into the travel insurance to get me home safe and sound... and make sure i have instant access to funds to cover my needs....

i am sure there will be other with their comments too...

Redd
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by Redd » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:40 am

Tom,
Don't forget our young Nova Scotia friend that fell/jumped off the 6th floor of the GCP and broke both femer bones upon his landing......he sat in the hosptial without meds until they could arrange to fly him back home. He did not have $$$$$, so he did not receive medical attention.
I will certainly get travelers insurance the next time I go to Mexico.
Jane

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:32 am

San Javiar, AmeriMed and Cornerstone Hospitals will all accept US insurance. I know of two people who received excellent care at San Javiar.

Travel insurance is too cheap to go without. It is a minimum of $25,000 to med-evacuated by air ambulance back to the states from PV. Most travel insurance policies not only cover these expenses but also cover the cost of a family member traveling with you or in the event that you are vacationing in PV alone they will cover a family member's expense down to be with you and accompany you back home. While most of us never anticipate getting sick on our vacation accidents and illnesses can happen anytime/anywhere.

debsum
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by debsum » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:53 pm

Not having traveled much outside the US, I hadn't considered travel insurance before. But having read these posts I think it's a MUST. But where do you get it -- through the travel agency?

Redd
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by Redd » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:30 pm

Yes I do believe that you can get travelers insurance through your travel agent...kind of bummed that mine did not recommend it to us.
Jane

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:42 pm

debsum wrote:Not having traveled much outside the US, I hadn't considered travel insurance before. But having read these posts I think it's a MUST. But where do you get it -- through the travel agency?
We have found using a travel companies Insurance is quite expensive.
We make a call to our Vehicle and Home Insurance broker and he puts together a travel Insurance package for us.
Last year it cost us $39.25 Can. (About 1/4 of the cost from a Travel Company) for a one week package that had excellent coverage .
I was surprised at what all the Insurance Policy covered.
Most of the time when we travel everything is OK but what if....
I feel taking out Travel Insurance is smart and could save a person a lot of grief.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Slight Correction

Post by Jennybean » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:57 pm

Don't forget our young Nova Scotia friend that fell/jumped off the 6th floor of the GCP and broke both femer bones upon his landing......he sat in the hosptial without meds until they could arrange to fly him back home. He did not have $$$$$, so he did not receive medical attention.
This isn't entirely accurate...it's what the media said, however someone who works at the hospital and was there said nope, not the case. He was treated to the best of their ability to keep him comfortable and stable, and do what they could with the extensive injuries, but what happened is the guy didn't read the fine print on his travel insurance and figured he was 100% covered for this accident up front. Because he was three sheets to the wind when it happened...sorry, nullifies the coverage.

The Alberta provincial government came up out of pocket out front and covered everything (even though he's only considered a new/seasonal resident of the province and didn't have coverage yet), and his family back home wound up having to do a fundraiser to cover the 5 figure cost of his medi-vac air flight back to Edmonton for his long hospital stay and extensive rehab. This guy knew when he got home, and said so, how lucky he was to A) be alive and B) to not have to fork out a dime for medical treatment over the next however many years, thanks to our universal health care system.

That's the two prong of the travel insurance - it doesn't cover your air ambulance, and you need to get that coverage because the cheapest medivac out will run in the $20K US range if you need to be moved. (this information comes right from Pam Thompson, who does all the air ambulance arrangements out of PV...she's also the one who corrected the misconception that this kid received no medical care while in PV).

Moral of the story, buy the insurance but read the fine print, kids.

debsum
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by debsum » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:13 pm

Thanks all for the info. I'm calling my insurance agent now!

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:29 pm

thanks for the update there Jennybean... I know Redd was just relaying the information that was given to us by other guests at the resort when we arrived. As from our balcony you could see the "imprints" where he landed. He is very lucky that they had been watering the grass along there so that he could sink into the ground some too. San Javier is very close to our resort (GCP) and we have known people that have used this hospital as well.

I know after seeing, hearing, and being around when people have needed assistance, Lorrie and I will be persuing travelers insurance that is for sure. Thanks for the suggestion of checking with our home owners policies Sylvia, we will do that as well. We always notify our health insurance providers when we leave the country or go on an extended out of state trip so that we have coverage there...

good thread everybody... good suggestions and updates... thank you one and all....

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Insurance

Post by smitty » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:37 pm

Also check if you have travel insurance as part of a credit card you have. I know my Visa card includes out of country travel insurance . Besides the alcohol factor voiding insurance policies often "high risk" activities will not be covered . Think para -sailing , jet ski , canopy tour etc. Like Jenny says , read and know what your policy covers. :)

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:43 pm

Excellent point there Smitty... excellent... that was one i didn't think of either of the credit card as well as some of the acitivity tours... Bravo...

Redd
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by Redd » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:31 pm

Thanks Jennybean....like Tom said that was the word going around. I feel better knowing that he did not lay in a hospital bed w/out any type of medical treatment.
Take care,
Jane

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:38 pm

Redd wrote:Thanks Jennybean....like Tom said that was the word going around. I feel better knowing that he did not lay in a hospital bed w/out any type of medical treatment.
Take care,
Jane
I know Jane, i thought a lot of the same things. How could you deny a person some kind of medical treatment with the sustaining injuries this lad had. It is amazing truly that this "idiot" and i use that term loosely is still alive for that fact. he sure knew how to ruin his vacation, his friends vacation, as well as probably a few guests that had to hear the thud, and find him outside their veranda screaming in pain and agony...

talk to you later... Jennybean, again thanks for the updates... would be even more interesting to hear how he is progressing as well...